Beach Lane (The Au Pairs #1) by Melissa de la Cruz

The Beach Lane Collection - Melissa  de la Cruz

Hi guys, I hope you all are having a great day, and this is my review to Beach Lane by Melissa de la Cruz, which is the first book in the Au Pairs or Beach Lane series. This book was part of my long weekend reading from last weekend.

This book is about three girls: Eliza Thompson, Mara Waters, and Jacqui Velasco. These three girls get accepted as to work as the au pairs for New York in the Hampton community. Eliza is a rich girl who’s lost her money. Jacqui only signs up to be an au pair so that she can look for her lost summer romance, Luca. Mara is trying to get some money for her college and car and to escape a boring summer down in Massachusetts. The three girls go through a lot of drama through their first summer together in Hampton.

For some reason, this book didn’t really get to me at all. I just found Eliza and Jacqui so annoying, that I had to force myself to read this book. They aren’t really bad characters at all, but all Eliza cares about is her reputation and all Jacqui is doing is hooking up with “Luca” all the time. Poor Mara is left to deal with the kids.

The au pairs didn’t really spend that much time on the kids, or at least in my opinion, there was an unlimited supply of drama though. I started liking Eliza more at the end of the book from her more non-reputation-wise choices (even if she does something she regrets). I didn’t get Jacqui; I lost her a long time ago. I couldn’t connect with her at all. Mara actually gets more change, becoming “It Girl” and spotted with Ryan Perry, the kids’ older brother, she was my favorite character.

Overall, this book was pretty predictable, but an okay read. There wasn’t anything exciting and no surprises, I could guess everything from beforehand. I would probably recommend this book for someone who enjoys summer reads, friendship, fashion, and tense (kind of) drama. For someone who’s more plot-twists, turns, action, and thrills, I would say this is not the book for you. If you need a break from tense reads, then try this book. I’m not sure if I would continue on with the second book in this series, Skinny Dipping, maybe one day. But for now . . . not really.

Thank you guys for reading and I hope you enjoyed the review!