The Silent Summer of Kyle McGinley by Jan Andrews

The Silent Summer of Kyle McGinley -

Hi guys, hope you are having a great day today, and this is my review to the book The Silent Summer of Kyle McGinley by Jan Andrews. This is also the second book I am reading out of the ten in total for White Pine 2015.

The Silent Summer of Kyle McGinley is about a boy named Kyle who is used to going around from foster home to foster home ever since his dad left him on the doorsteps when he was eight-years-old. Being supported by the Children Aids Society (where they shift you to new homes every once in a while to live) he is shifted out in the countryside, where Scott and Jill, a couple live. He ends up staying with them over the summer. Since he is kind of tired, I guess he decides that he’s not going to talk at all this summer.

So . . . this book is written entirely in dialogue. Oddly contradicting, for someone who decides he’s not going to talk. If you think about it, then Kyle honestly is just has to face something else besides spending the summer alone in a loft. He has to face himself.

So Kyle finds a loft in the barn where he sleeps. He wakes up. Showers. Eats. Goes to Loft. Paints. At night he becomes an explorer and goes on walking around the area. Then he goes to the loft in the barn where he sleeps. He finds a bird. Names her Lady C. Stuff . . . happens? It’s honestly like you’re just in the head of this kid.  Oh no, sorry. He also has two voices in his head since he doesn’t talk to people using his words. His dad, which is a nagging part of his past always in his mind, and a new voice. This new voice is given many names throughout the book. THE SCIENTIST. Lord of Ingenuity. Ingen.

This book is also very boring, I was five seconds from crying a river, and just reading a page every day to get this thing over with. But thankfully I finished this thing. Thankfully. Now, if I think about it, I understand the message Jan Andrews is trying to portray about teen problems. But honestly, I’m not really sure if fifteen-year-old boys thought like some references in here.

“Why the hell didn’t I go for Ninety-nine Bottles of Beer of the Wall, or nine hundred and ninety-nine? Anything but It’s Time To Go Now. OVER AND OVER AND OVER. ROUND AND ROUND AND ROUND.”

Is Kyle screaming in thoughts? What . . . ?

At the end of this book, Kyle stands up for himself and talks in that somewhat last couple of chapters. We learn that he’s stronger now.

Personally, I feel like the message is too strong for teen readers to get. Because I don’t think other average kids understand why Jan Andrews has decided to put this whole novel in the mind of a fifteen-year-old boy. It’s hard to understand the logic.

I would recommend this book for people who would like a more personal insight on self-knowledge and moving on. I would not recommend this book for people who cannot stand to read the same thing for two hundred pages. Like me. There is no fighting, or action, or disses, or quotes.

I hope you all have a great day, and thanks for reading! :D