Falling Kingdoms (Falling Kingdoms #1) by Morgan Rhodes

Falling Kingdoms - Morgan Rhodes

Hi guys, I hope you all are having a great day, and this is my review to the book Falling Kingdoms by Morgan Rhodes. This is the first installment in which I’m pretty sure is a six-book series.

This book is about . . . three kingdoms. If the middle even counts as a kingdom. Limeros, the northern kingdom. Paelsia, the middle kingdom (also, the poor one). And Auranos, the southern and pretty and rich kingdom. All these kingdoms are in the land of Mytica.

When Princess Cleiona Bellos goes to visit with her fiancé to the Paelsian wine-seller, her drunk fiancé kills the wine-seller’s son. This causes an uprising in all three of these kingdoms. This story is told in third person. There’s the Princess Cleo (Auranos), Prince Magnus and Princess Lucia (Limeros), and Jonas and the Chief who’s name I cannot bother to remember since he was a stupid character anyway. Also he is not really a main character.

Now, this book. Had. Me. Hooked. Which is weird.

Except, I honestly cannot decide if I liked more things or didn’t like more things from this book. Like, there are things I didn’t like:

Cleo Logic: she knows what an idiot her fiancé can be when he’s drunk, but she still never ordered Theon to stop him, which is what started this whole war in the first place. Also, let me go all the way to the country in which I watched someone get killed by taking people who can fight.

Jonas Logic: Man stabs my brother, let’s go kidnap the princess who was standing at the side JUST LIKE EVERYONE ELSE WAS. WHY DON’T YOU JUST KILL EVERY ONE JONAS? HUH? AND HE DIDN’T EVEN THINK ABOUT THE WHAT-HIS-FACE WHO ACTUALLY KILLED YOUR BROTHER?! (I can’t even bother to remember their names)

Magnus Logic: I like my sister, but I’ll kiss her when I know she’s not my sister. Because she’ll totally fall in love with me. Also, after I have been rejected, I will turn into my father, because I am not a Prince, I am a servant to a tyrant king.

Lucia Logic: Let me destroy an entire kingdom because Daddy said. Even if Daddy is just using me for power and I fully know all of this.

You want to know the smart guy in this book? King Gaius. That’s it. Guess who’s the villain? King Gaius.

Things I Knew Would Happen:

King Gaius did not want an alliance. He wanted numbers.

Jonas would kidnap Cleo.

Insta-love between Cleo and Theon.

Theon would die.

Magnus would get rejected and do something stupid.

Lucia would not be smart with her powers.

King Gaius would conquer all of Mytica.

Jonas would regret part of his decision.

(show spoiler)

For some reason, I still really liked this book. I am definitely reading the second. Probably because I feel like Jonas and Cleo matured at the end compared to Lucia and Magnus. I also like King Gaius because he knows what he’s doing man. So yep, I am reading the next book. I would recommend this, probably because it does get through very quickly. Maybe at the end it even changed your mind. I feel like this series has a lot of potential, though.