Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe - Benjamin Alire Sáenz

Hi guys, I hope you all are having a great day and this is my review to Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sánez.

This book is about a boy named Aristotle who’s always mad, and he doesn’t know why. Aristotle has an older brother in prison who’s never talked about like he never existed, a Dad who’s fighting his own wars inside of himself after coming from a war himself, and Aristotle feels like every summer he needs something to happen—something. Then, over one summer, he meets a boy named Dante, and through their friendship, they see what there really is to get through in life, and this is through one another.

I loved this book to bits; this is one of those books that I cannot review properly, because this book is beyond me. The last time I felt this way about a book was from The Book Thief by Markus Zusak and Audacious by Gabrielle Prendergast. These three are books I need to go out and buy in paperback and are also the books that will go with me—everywhere in life and death. This book has deserved every little bit of praise it got and all the awards on its cover—it deserves everything. Unfortunately, I was VERY disappointed that people have not read this book as much as other books.

This book has a lot of diversity, which I loved. I loved everything about this book—everything. My emotions have exploded. The quotes are crazy, the words are crazy, and everything is beautiful, wonderful, and crazy. Aristotle definitely is one of those people who are in a big deal of self-conflict, and I found that this kind of conflict is the hardest to deal with in life, but Sánez showed this perfectly. Dante is all emotion: in his words, in his art, in his actions, everything. How could I not fall in love with that?

The friendship between Aristotle and Dante was unique in one of the best ways possible. Their friendship was raw from emotion and expression, and I loved it. I also loved the diversity in this book, as it showed real family conflicts, homosexuality, self-conflict, and a different race living in a different country.

By the end of the book, Aristotle had definitely found all the answers he needed along with Dante. He learned things that changed him for the better, and he accepted the biggest thing: which was himself. He learned to accept himself, and I loved that.

Oh my God, when Aristotle’s mom asked how he could be ashamed of loving Dante I died. I was so proud of his parents, and I loved his family. They accepted him for everything that he was. And when Dante and Aristotle are looking out into the stars after they admitted loving each other, I also died.

Another thing I liked about this book was the love between Dante and Aristotle was love. It wasn’t as if suddenly they both had to go with signs on their foreheads saying that they’re homosexual. This was love, and they loved one another, despite their gender. There was no stereotyping at all, and I loved that. Once again, Sánez blew my mind when he wrote their relationship so beautifully.

(show spoiler)

I WOULD RECOMMEND THIS BOOK TO ALL YOUNG ADULT READERS. GO AND EFFING READ THIS. THIS BOOK NEEDS MORE READS. I REALLY WANT TO SEE MORE REVIEWS ON THIS SITE ABOUT THIS BOOK. GO AND READ IT. READ SOMETHING DIFFERENT. TRY THIS. (This is not me yelling, this is me being excited.)I am so sad, that a lot of friends I have that love reading didn’t even know this book existed. Please, just go—go read this, my fellow friends. Also, it’s okay if you don’t like this, and I’m really sorry if you don’t, but I’m sure you will, because I loved this. ONCE AGAIN HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.