Dark Triumph by Robin LaFevers (His Fair Assassin Trilogy #2)

Dark Triumph - Robin LaFevers

Hey guys, I hope you all are having a great day and this is my review to the second book in the His Fair Assassin trilogy, Dark Triumph which is written Robin LaFevers.

When Sybella arrived at the doorstep of St Mortain half mad with grief and despair the convent were only too happy to offer her refuge - but at a price. The sisters of this convent serve Death, and with Sybella naturally skilled in both the arts of death and seduction, she could become one of their most dangerous weapons.

But her assassin's skills are little comfort when the convent returns her to the life that nearly drove her mad. Her father's rage and brutality are terrifying, and her brother's love is equally monstrous. But when Sybella discovers an unexpected ally she discovers that a daughter of Death may find something other than vengeance to live for...

I have to admit, when I first found out that Dark Triumph was told in a different perspective, I wasn’t sure if it would be as good as Grave Mercy. But after reading the first chapter, I felt like slapping myself. Of course it’s good! Robin LaFevers wrote it! I was so excited while reading this, I felt like Robin LaFevers made a huge leap, because it was much easier connecting with Sybella (for me) than Ismae. It took a little longer for me to connect with Ismae to be honest, but Sybella’s pain helps her grow so wonderfully.

Okay, okay. Before I say anything . . . Sybella and Beast! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. OMG I SHIP THEM. I kind of found it funny, you know Sybella and Beast. Like Beauty and the Beast. But honestly, their relationship is beautiful, and Beast is most definitely a gentle man if he is willing to treat Sybella with as much care and love as he does. I LOVE THEM.

Sybella’s story is truly painful, and some things shocked me. But in the end, she remains stronger, and she eventually wins over her inner turmoil and takes the steps she knows is right. Robin LaFevers is not afraid to portray different, ambitious heroines and I admire her managing to pull off the thing that each character needs most: their own voice. I could tell that this is Sybella talking, and her voice, and not Ismae. And Dark Triumph is not a repeat of Grave Mercy and truly a great second installment.

And Ismae and Duval make an appearance in the book, which had feels going. Especially because we get to read about their deep friendship through Sybella’s point of view. In Grave Mercy it looked like Sybella didn’t care (in the beginning) but then later on, when you read the next book from Syeblla’s perspective, you realize how much emotion she actually has in her.

Ew, Julian. I cannot believe that he would . . . he literally took advantage of Sybella and he’s her brother. The point where I found out Sybella gave birth to a child at fourteen and D’Albret broke the baby’s neck minutes after it was born made me almost want to whip D’Albret—even if he is not real.

(show spoiler)

I love this book, this book is more about inner development unlike Grave Mercy which was all about political stuff. This book is also quite shorter than Grave Mercy is which surprised me at first. But it’s good guys, this sequel is not a disappointment! I loved this!

Hope you enjoyed my review guys and hope you all have a great day! Thanks for reading!