Siege and Storm by Leigh Bardugo (The Grisha Trilogy #2)

Siege and Storm - Leigh Bardugo

Hey guys! Hope you’re having a great day! I know I haven’t reviewed in a long time but I’m going to be really busy from now until the end of the school year. But, I will review every single book that I can finish! So . . . this is my review to the second installment in Leigh Bardugo’s The Grisha Trilogy, called Siege and Storm.

Darkness never dies.

Hunted across the True Sea, haunted by the lives she took on the Fold, Alina must try to make a life with Mal in an unfamiliar land. She finds starting new is not easy while keeping her identity as the Sun Summoner a secret. She can’t outrun her past or her destiny for long.

The Darkling has emerged from the Shadow Fold with a terrifying new power and a dangerous plan that will test the very boundaries of the natural world. With the help of a notorious privateer, Alina returns to the country she abandoned, determined to fight the forces gathering against Ravka. But as her power grows, Alina slips deeper into the Darkling’s game of forbidden magic, and farther away from Mal. Somehow, she will have to choose between her country, her power, and the love she always thought would guide her—or risk losing everything to the oncoming storm.

Okay, I need to clear out first things first. I understand that the Darkling is supposed to be very handsome and luring and dark. He’s also my favorite character. Then WHY?! WHY DO I SEE THIS ALL THE TIME IN MY HEAD?!

Aro Aro Gif animated GIF

I SWEAR TO GOD. JUST GO AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay . . . now, let’s move on to the review.

I found Alina a much more likable character than Shadow and Bone. I have to admit, I would have to divide my thoughts of this book into four quarters.

In the first quarter, I thought the book was just good. I was pretty excited to see how Alina’s powers could work after the ending of Shadow and Bone. And then I’d kind of—not a whole lot or anything—just got a little bit disappointed from the fact that Alina had to get another amplifier to increase her power instead of drawing it out within herself.

The second quarter was very boring. It was just planning, and more planning, and more planning. I was relieved when the plot began to move a slight bit forward. I was only reading this book because of Nikolai and no one else. He actually drove me to read this book because I thought Bardugo developed this character fairly well.

The third quarter was when my opinion changed for Alina. I think Bardugo showed Alina’s struggles greatly, and it was nice seeing the fact that even though she was the Sun Summoner, no one actually fell to her feet all the time, and everyone had their doubts. I think this made the situation more realistic, and Alina . . . she was making me so proud of her! But the more proud I became of Alina, the madder I became over Mal. All he cares about is his future with Alina. Forget about the dead bodies! He matters!

The fourth quarter was the best! Alina finally understood that people’s thoughts were not going to give her power. That was awesome. I still love the Darkling! I will always love him!

So yes, I am reading the next book! Because even though there were some problems, I was more than happy with the improvement in Alina and the story!

The part when the Darkling would start visiting Alina as a Shadow, I had a feeling he was doing that because it became pretty evident that he was drawing power from within himself. I also thought Bardugo would kind of go more into whether or not the power can be drawn from within yourself because the power isn’t just created. This also kind of makes me wonder . . . did the Darkling draw his power from something specific? Maybe his predecessor?

And Mal was acting completely stupid when he started acting the way he did! Fighting with the Grisha and kissing Zoya like that in front of everyone! And if he really “knows” Alina so well, then why did he snap at her when she flinched away from him and saw the Darkling? God Mal!

(show spoiler)

I would recommend this series to people who like fantasy. It’s hard to tell whether or not I can say, “I love this series!” Because I really can’t tell, but what I can say is that I think this series improves with the next book. So this is a book that if you are interested in the synopsis, then you should give the first book a try, and see how you like it.

Thanks for reading this review guys, hope you have a great weekend! So until the next review! :D