Ruin and Rising by Leigh Bardugo (The Grisha Trilogy #3)

Ruin and Rising - Leigh Bardugo

Hi guys! I hope you’re having a great day. This is my review to the final installment in Leigh Bardugo’s The Grisha Trilogy, Ruin and Rising.

The capital has fallen.

The Darkling rules Ravka from his shadow throne.

Now the nation's fate rests with a broken Sun Summoner, a disgraced tracker, and the shattered remnants of a once-great magical army.

Deep in an ancient network of tunnels and caverns, a weakened Alina must submit to the dubious protection of the Apparat and the zealots who worship her as a Saint. Yet her plans lie elsewhere, with the hunt for the elusive firebird and the hope that an outlaw prince still survives.

Alina will have to forge new alliances and put aside old rivalries as she and Mal race to find the last of Morozova's amplifiers. But as she begins to unravel the Darkling's secrets, she reveals a past that will forever alter her understanding of the bond they share and the power she wields. The firebird is the one thing that stands between Ravka and destruction—and claiming it could cost Alina the very future she’s fighting for.

It is so hard for me to decide whether or not I was satisfied with the ending of this series. I was not sure what I thought of the ending, but I guess, I should have expected something like this from the last few chapters.

Most of this book was planning for the ending. I’m not exactly sure, but it wasn’t really boring or anything. It was kind of repetitive from the last book and I was sure that I couldn’t handle any more. But, I never realized when I got so far in the book that I didn’t mind the planning, and the journeying through different parts of the Grisha world.

The parts I did like were the fact that Alina would meet a lot with the Darkling during the times when their connection was strong. I was thinking there was going to be more of that, but really, it was just talking and stuff (until after).

I liked all the characters in this book a lot more than I did in the last two. Especially characters like David, Genya, Nadia, and Marie. I felt in the first book they were all just assigned roles like: The Nerdy Guy, The Gorgeous Girl, the Mean Girls with no Backbone. See what I mean? But after finishing this series, I can definitely say that each character actually has a personality. This made the book one hundred thousand times better to read. :D

Mal was actually really nice in this book. I didn’t feel like telling Nikolai to run away with Alina as fast as he possibly could. So that must’ve meant something, right?

Oh, oh, and the greatest news. THE DARKLING LOOKS LIKE I WANTED HIM TO LOOK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (In my head, of course)

Anyway, I think this book was okay. If I had to rate this series, I would say it was okay for me. And if anyone wants to try out anything related to fantasy, then maybe you should try this out, because it’s not too dense in world-building or complex characters. These things eventually build up over time. So that was okay.

Okay. So the Darkling dies when Alina stabs him? No offense, but when she visited him for the first time as a Shadow/illusion thing, couldn’t she have tried to kill him? And did no one find it important to share the story of Mal’s bloodline? I understand he’s related to Morozova and all that, but how did Alina suddenly manage to figure everything out in her head when she just thought about Mal’s bloodline? And they found the firebird so easily, lucky guy. He’s the only one who didn’t die.

I actually had a feeling something was going to happen when Alina would get the third amplifier. I had a feeling something bad was going to happen to her power. But I actually started laughing when she lost it all when Mal died. And also, that was smart of Morozova to make his daughter the third amplifier after choosing two sacred animals so that everyone could think that the third amplifier was something really important or something.

Oh God, that epilogue. When Alina and Mal turned out to be teachers. And seriously, only Nikolai would be a Ravkan King and dress himself up to deliver presents, like what are you Nikolai, Santa Claus? But that’s okay, that is why I still love him! :D

(show spoiler)

Overall, I guess this series was okay. I would recommend this to anyone who wants to try fantasy. They can try out the first book, Shadow and Bone, and see if they like it. If you don’t read a lot of fantasy, this is lighter. It doesn’t info-dump, and it isn’t entirely focused on fantasy if you know what I mean. I’m not sure how to word it, read it and maybe you’ll know what I’m trying to say. ;) So once again, you want to try this, try it! :D

So that’s my review guys, hope you enjoy! Thanks a lot for reading and let me know (if any of you have anything to say) what you think about this series or if you want to try it out! Until the next review! :D