Everybody Sees the Ants by A.S. King

Everybody Sees the Ants - A.S. King

Hi guys, I hope you all are having a great day! This is my review to Everybody Sees the Ants by A.S. King. This is also a standalone novel. :)

Lucky Linderman didn't ask for his life. He didn't ask his grandfather not to come home from the Vietnam War. He didn't ask for a father who never got over it. He didn't ask for a mother who keeps pretending their dysfunctional family is fine. And he didn't ask to be the target of Nader McMillan's relentless bullying, which has finally gone too far.

But Lucky has a secret--one that helps him wade through the daily mundane torture of his life. In his dreams, Lucky escapes to the war-ridden jungles of Laos--the prison his grandfather couldn't escape--where Lucky can be a real man, an adventurer, and a hero. It's dangerous and wild, and it's a place where his life just might be worth living. But how long can Lucky keep hiding in his dreams before reality forces its way inside?

Michael L. Printz Honor recipient A.S. King's smart, funny and boldly original writing shines in this powerful novel about learning to cope with the shrapnel life throws at you and taking a stand against it.

This story is one of the most powerful that I’ve read. Lucky’s voice and the things he goes through are so emotionally painful that at some points, I felt real anger towards fictional characters for doing the things they did—and in some cases for not doing the things they should have done.

Lucky goes through an adventure of discovering parts of himself in his aunt, his uncle, some new friends he makes, and seeing that others are going through a different type of pain—but it doesn’t mean that their pain doesn’t matter. And their stories are just important as Lucky’s is. But in a different way. Even some parts of himself through the things he was convinced he didn’t like doing. Cooking, bonding with his mom, and other stuff that is more exciting to read about than listening to me blabber. :D

Overall, this book is such a great read, that I can easily say A.S. King is one author I would like to check out more, since I’ve only read two books by her. But out of what I’ve read so far, I can say that she will not disappoint in the future (fingers crossed!)! This book is now one of my most favorites.

I can easily say that anyone can read this story. But I think everyone should read this story, it has one of the strongest voices from a main character that I’ve read in a long time. And it honestly breaks and mends your hearts in others. Lucky is a main character I fell in love with, and you will too if you give this book a try. Please, please, please read this book, because it is just so good!

Thanks for reading this review guys, and hope you enjoyed it! (Also hope you check out A.S. King if you haven’t yet) :D