Dreams of Gods and Monsters by Laini Taylor (Daughter of Smoke and Bone #3)

Dreams of Gods & Monsters - Laini Taylor

Hey guys, I hope you all are having a great day and this is my review to Dreams of Gods and Monsters by Laini Taylor and is the last book in the Daughter of Smoke and Bone trilogy.

By way of a staggering deception, Karou has taken control of the chimaera rebellion and is intent on steering its course away from dead-end vengeance. The future rests on her, if there can even be a future for the chimaera in war-ravaged Eretz.

Common enemy, common cause.

When Jael's brutal seraph army trespasses into the human world, the unthinkable becomes essential, and Karou and Akiva must ally their enemy armies against the threat. It is a twisted version of their long-ago dream, and they begin to hope that it might forge a way forward for their people.

And, perhaps, for themselves. Toward a new way of living, and maybe even love.

But there are bigger threats than Jael in the offing. A vicious queen is hunting Akiva, and, in the skies of Eretz ... something is happening. Massive stains are spreading like bruises from horizon to horizon; the great winged stormhunters are gathering as if summoned, ceaselessly circling, and a deep sense of wrong pervades the world.

What power can bruise the sky?

From the streets of Rome to the caves of the Kirin and beyond, humans, chimaera and seraphim will fight, strive, love, and die in an epic theater that transcends good and evil, right and wrong, friend and enemy.

At the very barriers of space and time, what do gods and monsters dream of? And does anything else matter?

The thing about this final installment is that it has a slow build-up. I feel like throughout the story, the sub-plots are resolved (cause Karou and Akiva spent like ten years on this) and there’s a slow build-up to the actual ending of the story. I think this way of writing actually suited the flow of the story, since at the end of Days of Blood and Starlight there was more of a question for what now?

Karou is once again, an amazing character. But unlike the first and maybe even most of the second book, the story doesn’t revolve around Karou. Taylor lets the world expand very slowly, and lets us meet new characters that each play a small and important role in the story. I think that the secondary characters were given a lot of personality and were very well-built from book one.

There’s a lot of world-building even if we already know the world just because Taylor is just that awesome. :)

Overall, a great final installment to the series! I don’t know why but I feel like I don’t want to talk too much about this series because it needs to be read. The writing style and the pacing are both so good in these books, and the characters develop into amazing people!

I would recommend this series to people who like high fantasy, strong characters, not too much romance as the plot of the story, and strong character build-ups then read this series, because I really enjoyed this!

Thanks so much for reading this review, and until the next one! :D