Red Queen by Voctoria Aveyard (Red Queen #1)

Red Queen - Victoria Aveyard

Hey guys! I hope you all are having a great day and this my review to Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard. I also think that this book is the first in a trilogy. And this is also an Anticipated Read of 2015 for me!

The poverty stricken Reds are commoners, living under the rule of the Silvers, elite warriors with god-like powers.

To Mare Barrow, a 17-year-old Red girl from The Stilts, it looks like nothing will ever change.

Mare finds herself working in the Silver Palace, at the centre of those she hates the most. She quickly discovers that, despite her red blood, she possesses a deadly power of her own. One that threatens to destroy Silver control.

But power is a dangerous game. And in this world divided by blood, who will win?

It is hard to tell what I felt about this book. The only reason this book has four stars is because of that ending. OMG!

I felt like the book itself was good, the two things I didn’t like were:

Mare, who is a very indecisive main character and contradicts herself. Maybe I’m the only one who felt like this, because I cannot see how Mare can sometimes think, “Oh, this is what we have to do!” and then, “How could this happen? Look at that poor family!” Make up your mind, Mare, because there are only 300 and 80-something pages in this book for me to see how indecisive you can be! Mare is very self-contradicting, but she thankfully makes up her mind at the end (finally). That was the only problem I had with Mare, nothing else though.

The love triangle. Nope, nada, save it for another day because I’m not about to read pages of brothers fighting over a girl. -_-

But there were also things I did like in this book.

The plot pacing was extremely well done, and I thought I saw the twist coming, but then I was thinking, “No . . . it can’t be. How?” AND THEN IT HAPPENED. *mindblown*

Thankfully, some characters were better developed to me than others. Characters like Julian really got to me. They were well done, and it offers a nice background story. I thought they had a nice role in the story, with their personality portrayed nicely from Mare’s perspective.

And finally, the setting. The premise was promising. But I feel like the world-building could have been a little better. Especially with the powers that Silvers possess. But once again, the plot pacing is wonderful and so was that ending.

Overall, Red Queen is an okay first book with realistic characters (frustrating sometimes, though), and a creative world in which this book has truly shown that power isn’t a game that everyone thinks they understand. I also think that this book was great in portraying the ultimate “twist” and it even sets up a bit of what to expect from the second book! I am definitely reading the second book when that comes out! Very excited!

I would recommend Red Queen to anyone who wants to give it a try! You may like some things, and not others, but the ending won me over (personally)! I think that if you want to try out Red Queen you should because there were some things I didn’t like that others did. Just as there were things I did like that others didn’t. It honestly depends on you and what you like in a book. So, if you want to give Red Queen a try, then why not? The ending is worth it. :D

Thanks for reading this review guys, and until the next one! :D