Lirael by Garth Nix (Abhorsen #2)

Lirael - Garth Nix

Hey guys! I hope you all are having a great day and this is my review to Lirael by Garth Nix. This book is the second installment in the Abhorsen Trilogy.

Lirael has never felt like a true daughter of the Clayr. Now, two years past the time when she should have received the Sight that is the Clayr's birthright, she feels alone, abandoned, unsure of who she is. Nevertheless, the fate of the Old Kingdom lies in her hands. With only her faithful companion, the Disreputable Dog, Lirael must undertake a desperate mission under the growing shadow of an ancient evil.

In this sequel to Sabriel, winner of the Aurealis Award for Excellence in Australian Science Fiction, New York Times best-selling author Garth Nix weaves a spellbinding tale of discovery, destiny, and danger.

I feel like my feelings about this book are very mixed . . . in the beginning I loved this book, I was fangirling over every single page. And then around the second half of the book finishes. But there’s still no progress in the plot. But I’m still hooked. Towards the ending I felt more relieved of the fact that Abhorsen is going to be very fast-paced compared to this book.

Lirael was an interesting character. I can’t tell if I liked her or not. I feel like she’s grown a lot from the beginning of the story though—even if she still wants to See after all that happens—but I’ll overlook that today. I liked the Disreputable Dog, definitely had more of a fit personality. I’m also guessing that we’ll be having more talking animals? Mogget, is, of course, still the best! Now, one of my favorite characters is Prince Sameth. Even though there was nothing much different is probably because Nix kind of uses the whole: Does the walker choose the path or does the path choose the walker? Sameth is a character who is afraid to be Abhorsen, because he’s simply not meant to be. I feel like Sam’s fear was portrayed really well. :D

Of course, the world-building was once again, beautiful. I loved the way we learn things as they come along in the story instead of just info-dumping. Although in this book, we learn more about the world of the Old Kingdom and Ancestrielle, I would like to learn more about Death. We learned some things about Death though, one was that you don’t need to have to bells to enter (I feel like we were supposed to know this from Sabriel but I probably forgot).

The only issues I had were with the plot pacing. But I still loved this book! Because I could fangirl over Sabriel and Touchstone having kids! If I had to say something, before even finishing the series, I kind of know that Lirael is my least favorite just because of the plot-pacing.

Overall, Lirael is a satisfying sequel (I wanted a little bit more) but it does have that really solid ending that makes me want to read the next book in the series.

I would obviously recommend Lirael if you like Sabriel. The fantasy in this series is portrayed really well, and you will never feel overwhelmed. The only thing I can say is that I liked Sabriel more, but the ending of this book has me highly anticipated for Abhorsen.

And that’s the end! Thanks for reading my review guys! Hope you have a great day! :D