My Heart and Other Black Holes by Jasmine Warga

My Heart and Other Black Holes - Jasmine Warga

Hey guys, I hope you all are having a great day and this is my review to My Heart and Other Black Holes by Jasmine Warga. This is also one of my Anticipated Reads for 2015! So happy that I got to read this! :D

Sixteen-year-old physics nerd Aysel is obsessed with plotting her own death. With a mother who can barely look at her without wincing, classmates who whisper behind her back, and a father whose violent crime rocked her small town, Aysel is ready to turn her potential energy into nothingness.

There’s only one problem: she’s not sure she has the courage to do it alone. But once she discovers a website with a section called Suicide Partners, Aysel’s convinced she’s found her solution: a teen boy with the username FrozenRobot (aka Roman) who’s haunted by a family tragedy is looking for a partner.

Even though Aysel and Roman have nothing in common, they slowly start to fill in each other’s broken lives. But as their suicide pact becomes more concrete, Aysel begins to question whether she really wants to go through with it. Ultimately, she must choose between wanting to die or trying to convince Roman to live so they can discover the potential of their energy together. Except that Roman may not be so easy to convince.

This book left a small hole in my heart! It was really good, and I loved the way that Warga shows the issue of suicide in this book—I never felt offended by anything that she wrote! :D

Aysel is a really different kind of character. She’s suicidal but she is so brutally honest that it’s hard not to fall in love with her! Her slow and amazing character growth was the best thing to read about, and by the end, I was completely convinced that she had changed. Aysel is honestly normal, she has a passion for physics. She feels that her family doesn’t understand her, and at some points, she just wants to end it all because instead of hating the world, she really just hates herself.

The other characters were also interesting to read about. I felt like FrozenRobot/Roman was an interesting character. I felt like his reason was the worst, because Aysel was just a legacy from her father, but for Roman . . . oh God. But thankfully, this didn’t make me dislike his character. I liked Aysel’s family. Thankfully, when her mom and her do have some awkward moments, it wasn’t like her family absolutely hated her or something, it was kind of like a real situation. Her mom got so focused on “fixing her own life” that somewhere in the end, she forgot about her daughter. But it doesn’t mean that she’s a terrible mother.

One thing I wasn’t sure about was the romance. Was the romance in this book necessary? Because I felt like the author was saying that suddenly Aysel falls in love and she realizes that she has to convince Roman, because even though there were so many people looking after her, it was falling in love that changed her mind. Did I agree with this? I’m still not sure. I don’t think I would be able to comment on the romance in this book at all, because I understood it but at the same time I didn’t.

Another thing that I liked—this honestly depends on how you perceive the story. Some people might not like this at all because they wanted to know more. But, I liked it. I liked the fact that in the end, everything isn’t wrapped up. Why I liked this? Because life doesn’t get “wrapped-up” after going through certain phases. There were still some questions at the end of the book, but from the writing style of this, I thought it was okay. And I found that I preferred it that way, too. I didn’t think that the ending had to be, “Okay, and that’s a wrap guys! It’s over!” There’s still that can happen beyond the book itself. I preferred the questions that I had at the end of book. It honestly depends on you if you do though.

Overall, My Heart and Other Black Holes is a story about learning to move on. I enjoyed it, and I preferred the ending the way it was. I didn’t have a problem with that at all. This, once again, depends on who’s reading this book.

I would recommend My Heart and Other Black Holes to people who want to read more about character growth. This story obviously isn’t lighthearted if it includes suicide though. I will, however, warn you that this book has suicide triggers. If you are depressed then please do not read this book. This book is not meant to portray options. If you are not depressed and want to read a story more about character growth, then give this a try! I would recommend it to you. I thought this was a good read.

Thanks for reading my review everybody, and I hope you all have a great day! :D