The Winner’s Crime by Marie Rutkoski (The Winner’s Trilogy #2)

The Winner's Crime (The Winner's Trilogy) - Marie Rutkoski

Hey guys, I hope you all are having a great day and this is my review to The Winner’s Crime by Marie Rutkoski. :)

Book two of the dazzling Winner's Trilogy is a fight to the death as Kestrel risks betrayal of country for love.

The engagement of Lady Kestrel to Valoria’s crown prince means one celebration after another. But to Kestrel it means living in a cage of her own making. As the wedding approaches, she aches to tell Arin the truth about her engagement... if she could only trust him. Yet can she even trust herself? For—unknown to Arin—Kestrel is becoming a skilled practitioner of deceit: an anonymous spy passing information to Herran, and close to uncovering a shocking secret.

As Arin enlists dangerous allies in the struggle to keep his country’s freedom, he can’t fight the suspicion that Kestrel knows more than she shows. In the end, it might not be a dagger in the dark that cuts him open, but the truth. And when that happens, Kestrel and Arin learn just how much their crimes will cost them

This book was seriously frustrating—needless to say, it was a rollercoaster for me. From beginning to end. But the good kind of frustrating, if you know what I mean. ;D

There are specific points that I would like to talk about in this review—just because this book was so good and much better than the first book.

To start off, The Winner’s Crime has more of a political tone to it than it did in The Winner’s Curse. Kestrel is not the only intelligent person in this book. Everything that was done in the last book set up the tension to start off this book. Kestrel is not the only player in the game anymore. She’s not alone, and she’s not the smartest person who knows what she’s doing. This time, she has so much more to lose than she has to gain. Is being the bride of the Prince really securing her position and her safety? You don’t really know anything because Rutkoski writes this tension so well, that you delve into it.

Arin and Kestrel are no longer star-crossed lovers. I’m not saying that this was the focus of the previous book, but this time, Arin and Kestrel’s relationship is on the stake only because of one reason. Miscommunication. I am not lying. Every once in a while Kestrel will think of something and it ends up backfiring—but like I said before, she has so much more to lose now. The tension between Arin and Kestrel was so good to read about, because now we get to see of both of them, and what they’re willing to do for their country.

Political alliances and games. Now, a couple of years ago, I wasn’t sure if I liked reading about political alliances and these mind games that would be played in court. I, personally, am not a fan of politics. But sometimes in writing, it is pulled off so fantastically—especially when these games are being played by the characters you care about most—that you cannot help but want to read more into this tension to see the decisions that your characters make and how it affects everyone else.

The characters. Honestly, I love how Rutkoski doesn’t change her characters, but instead she changes the situation. She manages to turn the situations that these characters are in into something that we never even thought they would be faced with, and sometimes when this happens, your characters end up taking decisions that you never realized that they would even think of taking. I love how all of these amazing characters are put into such tough situations that even though we know what they are going to do, it still makes you heart hurt. Seriously. Kestrel and Arin. *cries*

I obviously enjoyed this book a lot more than I did the last one.

Overall, I liked The Winner’s Crime much more than The Winner’s Curse. I thought that this book set a much darker tone and theme for the overall plot and was very incredibly executed. I never felt frustrated and the writing style was amazing to read about. I think that my favorite part was everything, because every single thing that happens in this book ties up so intricately that you can’t help but love everything this even more.

I would recommend The Winner’s Crime to anyone to read. If people liked the last book, then you will love this book even more. The first book wasn’t necessarily my favorite, but I still stuck with it, and I enjoyed this book a lot. I really hope that Marie Rutkoski writes the last book of this series (unfortunately coming out in March 2016, I know I’m crying too) and concludes this beyond our expectations. I hope that the next book is even better than the first two combined together! :D

And that’s all, everyone! Thanks so much for reading if you did! And I hope that you have a great day! :D