Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins (Anna and the French Kiss #1)

Anna and the French Kiss (Anna & the French Kiss 1) by Stephanie Perkins (2014) Paperback - Stephanie Perkins

Hey guys, I hope you all are having a great day! This is my review to Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins and is the first novel in a companion trilogy.

Anna is looking forward to her senior year in Atlanta, where she has a great job, a loyal best friend, and a crush on the verge of becoming more. Which is why she is less than thrilled about being shipped off to boarding school in Paris--until she meets Étienne St. Clair. Smart, charming, beautiful, Étienne has it all...including a serious girlfriend.

But in the City of Light, wishes have a way of coming true. Will a year of romantic near-misses end with their long-awaited French kiss?

I really enjoyed this book. Needless to say, I was a bit intimidated to start this book at first because I’d heard nothing but positive reviews about this and this book was contemporary—not really my genre, which is why I want to try it out more—so I was a bit scared and had no expectations from this book.

I was obviously given quite the nice surprise with this one!

The thing I love about this book is that it is so raw and real despite being a contemporary. There is so much character growth and focus on relationships with friends and even family, but other than that, the main character is what made this book the most enjoyable for me.

The setting of this book was amazing! I love how we get to see so much of Paris even though Anna is meant to stay in a boarding school! For a book that is contemporary, the world building was done pretty well. I cannot say if it was accurate or not, cause I’ve never been to Paris. So . . . yeah. BUT I LIKED IT.

I liked Anna Oliphant a lot. She obviously reacts the way any teenager would about having to go to a boarding school, she does not want to go. I liked how even though she gets there, it takes her a while to get used to all the friends in their circle before she really starts to love Paris. Another thing that I liked was the fact that Anna loved Paris because of other things: like the movies that played, and the sites she saw, and the friends she had, and a lot of other things. I liked how the focus of this book wasn’t just teen relationships and family drama. :D

The other characters were so well rounded! It was so heart-warming to read about everyone’s stories, but it’s obvious that St. Clair’s is probably the most thought out and developed. The other characters have a personality that easily adds something different into the group. :D

One thing I really liked: Anna gets a reality check. About herself, and Perkins doesn’t do this the really rude way. It was something that Anna realized on her own, and it helped to mature her character so much! I was so happy with this book, OMG!!!!!!!!!!!! I love everyone. Etienne St. Clair, why are you not real? Like he’s born in America, has a French name, was raised in London, and goes to school in Paris. You see what this is? *dies*

OMG. I had a feeling that something was going to be off with Toph when Anna first went back home again! And when I found out that he and Bridgette were dating, I wasn’t really upset like Anna was, because THE FIRST THING that came to my head was: isn’t it like this with Meredith, St. Clair, and her? So she’s doing the same thing! But I didn’t hate Anna, I could see why she was upset, but I could also see that she didn’t really need to be.

In the end when Anna realizes that she’s never really tried to communicate with her friends and peers and that’s why the situations that happen did, I didn’t blame her, and my favorite part (after St. Clair and Anna moments) was when she sent the present to Bridgette after she and Meredith patched up! :D

(show spoiler)

Overall, Anna and the French Kiss should not be judged by the title because this book is so cool! Really! I enjoyed it even though I don’t even read that much contemporary and I’m pretty sure this is in one of my favorites now! :D I loved everything, and I read this in one day guys. I started it this morning and now I’m done. :D And now I need to finish a book before I can get Lola and the Boy Next Door, but I’m so excited for that!

I would recommend Anna and the French Kiss to people who like contemporary, to people who love contemporary, and to people who don’t. This is a book everyone needs to read! :D

Hope you guys have a great day and thanks for reading my review! :D