The Well of Ascension by Brandon Sanderson (Mistborn #2)

The Well of Ascension  - Brandon Sanderson

Hey guys, I hope you all are having a great day, and this my review The Well of Ascension by Brandon Sanderson. This book is also the second book in the Mistborn trilogy.

The impossible has been accomplished. The Lord Ruler – the man who claimed to be god incarnate and brutally ruled the world for a thousand years – has been vanquished. But Kelsier, the hero who masterminded that triumph, is dead too, and now the awesome task of building a new world has been left to his young protégé, Vin, the former street urchin who is now the most powerful Mistborn in the land, and to the idealistic young nobleman she loves.

As Kelsier’s protégé and slayer of the Lord Ruler she is now venerated by a budding new religion, a distinction that makes her intensely uncomfortable. Even more worrying, the mists have begun behaving strangely since the Lord Ruler died, and seem to harbor a strange vaporous entity that haunts her.

Stopping assassins may keep Vin’s Mistborn skills sharp, but it’s the least of her problems. Luthadel, the largest city of the former empire, doesn’t run itself, and Vin and the other members of Kelsier’s crew, who lead the revolution, must learn a whole new set of practical and political skills to help. It certainly won’t get easier with three armies – one of them composed of ferocious giants – now vying to conquer the city, and no sign of the Lord Ruler’s hidden cache of atium, the rarest and most powerful allomantic metal.

As the siege of Luthadel tightens, an ancient legend seems to offer a glimmer of hope. But even if it really exists, no one knows where to find the Well of Ascension or what manner of power it bestows.

THIS BOOK. SERIOUSLY.

Honestly, after the end of Mistborn I didn’t know what to expect from this book. It seemed like I didn’t know what was going on even though I had a teeny idea from the end of the first book. If you have read the first book, then you’ll probably understand what I’m talking about.

This book does have the action, but it is more political than the first book. This book does have the same action, and the scenes as usual, had me on the edge of my seat, but the overall tension is political.

I thought that Vin grew as a character in the first book, but I loved her internal conflict in this one. I felt like we got to know about Vin so much more in this book than we did in the first one! The best character development, by God: Elend Venture. :D *gushes*! I LOVED HIM. EVEN WHEN HE DIDN’T LOVE HIMSELF. ALL THE TIME, I NEVER HATED ANYTHING HE DID OR QUESTIONED ANYTHING THAT HAPPENED. Though my other favorite characters are: Breeze and Sazed. I love them all! :D

The storyline was pretty consistent, along with some subplots in the middle. I liked how one of the subplots—many actually—helped Vin and the other characters grow so much. I like how Sanderson manages to put so much life in his other characters along with his main characters! Really felt for all of them, and I am so glad that I can connect with all of them so well!

I thought for the first half of the book that The Final Empire was obviously better, until the second half. The second half left me hungover for this book—I am not getting over it any time soon! :D

The world building was also more intense this time because it was such a tense environment compared to Mistborn! I could feel the tension from the characters and the situations they were put in!

Ugh. Why did Clubs and Dox have to die . . . OMG. I could literally feel a part of myself dying whenever I would realize that Kelsier was not there. Ugh. And then Tindwyl died, so now my Sazed is left all alone. I actually liked Breeze and that other girl (I know, I don’t even remember her name . . .). GUYS I AM SO SCARED FOR THE NEXT BOOK.

(show spoiler)

Overall, The Well of Ascension is an amazing sequel to Mistborn and I feel like I need to rest myself for a while before I start the third book, because I am honestly kind of scared. I have no idea . . . I am terrified.

I would recommend The Well of Ascension to all fans of the first book. And if you haven’t read The Final Empire then you need to know what is going to be added to your TBR!

Thanks for reading this review, guys! Hope you all have a great day! :D