A Wicked Thing by Rhiannon Thomas (A Wicked Thing #1)

A Wicked Thing - Rhiannon Thomas

Hey guys, I hope you all are having a great day and this is my review to A Wicked Thing by Rhiannon Thomas. This is the first book in a trilogy or series, and is a retelling of the tale Sleeping Beauty.

Rhiannon Thomas's dazzling debut novel is a spellbinding reimagining of Sleeping Beauty and what happens after happily ever after.

One hundred years after falling asleep, Princess Aurora wakes up to the kiss of a handsome prince and a broken kingdom that has been dreaming of her return. All the books say that she should be living happily ever after. But as Aurora understands all too well, the truth is nothing like the fairy tale.

Her family is long dead. Her “true love” is a kind stranger. And her whole life has been planned out by political foes while she slept.

As Aurora struggles to make sense of her new world, she begins to fear that the curse has left its mark on her, a fiery and dangerous thing that might be as wicked as the witch who once ensnared her. With her wedding day drawing near, Aurora must make the ultimate decision on how to save her kingdom: marry the prince or run.

Rhiannon Thomas weaves together vivid scenes of action, romance, and gorgeous gowns to reveal a richly imagined world … and Sleeping Beauty as she’s never been seen before.

I thought the book had an interesting premise, but I couldn’t really force myself to go beyond that. I thought that Aurora was a good character and everything. Her reactions to situations were okay, but honestly, I thought the entire story was predictable.

Aurora wakes up. Prince is not her true love. Goes out and sneaks around. It’s pointless. She is controlled like a damn puppet. Ugh. Like, why you being so predictable?!?!?!?

I liked Aurora as a character, of course, there was nothing wrong with her. It’s just . . . that . . . you need to get a backbone Aurora. I swear to God, at some points it was like she was contradicting herself. Like, she knows that her whole life is laid out for her—that’s great—but then she complains about how she has no choice. Well, are you going to do anything to change this life, Aurora? Her character development was slow, but thankfully it happens. So that made up for it.

Tv Parks And Recreation animated GIF

The other characters. I swear to God: all labels. So Aurora wakes up and is controlled by The Mean Queen then she meets The Shy and Kind-Hearted Prince Who is Not at All like His Parents after she meets My Boyfriend-Not-Really-My-Not-True-Love’s Sister that Main Character Clicks With and then she meets Badass Charming Boy and the Arrogant Hot Prince. OH! OH! Before I forget: The All-Ruling Tyrant King Ruling in a Monarchy or Democratic Kingdom. No personality besides doing their role. Well, Isabelle, had a nice personality but she was just a kid.

There honestly isn’t much in the story besides Aurora being pushed around and her trying to rebel, but not really succeeding.

Nothing much for the world building either. Even though we know that there’s no more magic in this world, I felt like that could’ve been built on a lot better. We got the story of magic, how it came around, and how it disappeared. That’s great, but we need to know how this world works from the perspective of our character. The only thing is that the character doesn’t know too much herself (about anything, honestly) and so there’s no mention of this. I wish there would’ve been some sort of discovery, but not much happens. I understand that Aurora doesn’t know about magic much herself but still, I want more!

Overall, A Wicked Thing is a book. Literally. I only liked Aurora (a little bit), and the way magic was mentioned. Other than that, not much happens. I don’t think I liked this book, I was kind of rushing to get over with it during the last hundred pages. The plot was predictable, and so were the characters.

I would recommend A Wicked Thing to anyone that likes the story of Sleeping Beauty. I didn’t really enjoy it, but I can also see why people would like this book, this just didn’t do it for me. I guess if you want to give this a try, then you should go for it, but honestly . . . I was just pure annoyed. Give this a try if you want, and unfortunately, I will not be reading the next book in this series.

Thanks for reading this review guys, and I hope you all have a great day! :D