The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin (Mara Dyer #1)

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer - Michelle Hodkin

Hey guys, I hope you all are having a great day and this is my review to The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin. This the first book in the Mara Dyer trilogy.

Mara Dyer believes life can't get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there.

It can.

She believes there must be more to the accident she can't remember that killed her friends and left her strangely unharmed.

There is.

She doesn't believe that after everything she's been through, she can fall in love.

She's wrong.

I can’t really tell you if this book is a paranormal thriller, psychological, or horror (although, I highly doubt that one). But I do know that this book made me feel like it was all of the above (except for horror, can we all forget that I wrote that?)!

Mara Dyer has to move to a new town after a terrible accident that she has no memory of. Instead of being able to run away from all these weird events, she instead encounters even worse situations. And the entire time I was reading about this, one thought kept on coming to my head: Are all of these things actually happening, or is Mara Dyer completely and utterly insane? I literally lost my own head trying to figure it out myself.

I really liked the mystery of this book, and even though Mara was so frustrating at times, the situations that she gets into in the book made it worth it. And, after everything that she went through, I guess that those situations made sense. It really kept me going from middle to end.

There were some things I didn’t like:

Noah Shaw, the love interest, is so perfect. He’s so perfect, it hurts my eyes to read about him sometimes. How can a love interest be so damn perfect? I guess the only good thing was that there were no specific fights that made me want to cry or anything.

Mara gets bullied as soon as she shows up at her new school because she is a main character in a YA book. Why? Why couldn’t Mara just have made friends on the first day of school without everyone hating her? I understand that she wasn’t really getting along with some of the people, but up to the point where she is bullied by Anna? Is this Mean Girls 3?

The token black Jewish bi friend. He said this himself. NO. I can gurantee you, people don’t go listing their color, sexuality, and role in the story. JUST. NO. It’s a good thing this only happened once.

Dude, Mara Dyer is half-Indian, and the only thing I get that she doesn’t like to listen to Indian music. What about some Indian festivals? What about the way she prays? Or her morals and traditions?

BUT. THINGS I DID LIKE:

Mara has a family that actually exists. At least, her parents care about her and are existent. She also gets along quite well with her siblings. :D

Mara is a pretty tolerant main character. Besides being worried and freaking out when she did, she was pretty okay.

AND THE ENTIRE STORY.

So, if I had to say something about the problems I had above; they eventually got over. I guess for Mara being half-Indian and Jamie being black, Jewish, and bi; at least Hodkin tried.

Noah eventually gets more lovable. :D

And the bullying . . . *sigh* I’m probably not going to get over that one.

OMG. I had a feeling something was wrong with the way Jude died. One: because if Jude was kind of . . . on top of Mara, then the building would’ve still crushed both of them (weight wise) but Mara wasn’t crushed. So, I thought something was off with Jude, but I would’ve never guessed that he’s actually alive!

Phew! At least Mara didn’t kill that guy at the end!

(show spoiler)

CLIFFHANGER!!!!

Overall, The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer is an amazing debut and had me at the edge of my seat. And while there were things that didn’t really flow with me, I still liked the story. :D I’m going to start the second book tonight!

I would recommend The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer to everyone! If you want to read something that has you at the edge of your seat, then try to read this!

Hope you all have a great day! Thanks for reading my review! :D