Blood Promise by Richelle Mead (Vampire Academy #4)

Blood Promise - Richelle Mead

Rose Hathaway's life will never be the same.

The recent attack on St. Vladimir's Academy devastated the entire Moroi world. Many are dead. And, for the few victims carried off by Strigoi, their fates are even worse. A rare tattoo now adorns Rose's neck, a mark that says she's killed far too many Strigoi to count. But only one victim matters ... Dimitri Belikov. Rose must now choose one of two very different paths: honoring her life's vow to protect Lissa—her best friend and the last surviving Dragomir princess—or, dropping out of the Academy to strike out on her own and hunt down the man she loves. She'll have to go to the ends of the earth to find Dimitri and keep the promise he begged her to make. But the question is, when the time comes, will he want to be saved?

Now, with everything at stake—and worlds away from St. Vladimir's and her unguarded, vulnerable, and newly rebellious best friend—can Rose find the strength to destroy Dimitri? Or, will she sacrifice herself for a chance at eternal love?

WHY THIS BOOK TORTURE MY FEELZZZ. Wow—look at me: enjoying a typical high school paranormal series. Wow. I think Richelle Mead has a need to end every book with a cliffhanger—okay, I don’t know how to explain it. It’s not a cliffhanger, but, it ends so BAD that you NEED the next book. I am SO happy I am marathoning this series!

Anyway: I’ll put down the basics of why this didn’t receive a mind blowing 5 out of 5 stars. I had some problems with this book, for the first . . . 25%. Well, it wasn’t that I started this book and then I hated it. Some things just made no sense to me in between the 10% to 25% of the book.

“I'm like a fine wine. I get better with age. The best is yet to come.”

First: While Rose is journeying, we notice how she encounters new “cultures” and societies (best way to describe this without spoiling the series) . These discoveries had NOTHING to do with Rose discovering ANYTHING about finding what she was looking for! So, I was obviously quite frustrated! Not to mention:

the way things ended off with Viktoria doubting ROSE just because some crappy boyfriend LEFT her?! Like, twenty pages ago Viktoria was rambling on about how Rose was a sister to the Belikov’s and then just because Rose tried her best to save her, that gives Viktoria the right to snap at her?! I was FIVE SECONDS from smacking that girl. I hope that if we see Viktoria in the next book, she gets her ish together, cause I’m not dealing with that.

(show spoiler)

“I can be a good friend, or a bad enemy.”

Second: the lack of other characters. I’m not saying that they weren’t mentioned at all. But I felt like without Rose, everything went downhill. And, I understand that she’s an important person to everyone, but not up to the point where it suddenly . . . I don’t know. I felt like Lissa, Adrian, Christian, and Jill—or maybe even the guardians could’ve made MUCH more discoveries without Rose being there. The ENTIRE time we looked at what was happening to everyone else, it was just them messing up because:

what do you expect, Avery was a spirit user. I KNEW something was off with Avery when Tatiana sent her. I don’t care how “normal” she was, she was screwed up. It was nice to see the Lissa-Rose spirit connection.

(show spoiler)

Third: this is a spoiler, sorry!

I cannot BELIEVE how terribly Dimitri was destroyed! I was so, so . . . Dimitri is MINE and in this book, he wasn’t. It was so bad, I . . . I understand Dimitri is Strigoi, but the encounters he had with Rose, like guys, Rose spent HALF of her time with Dimitri (almost half, I’m sure). And then entire time, Dimitri was so angry at Rose at one point—sorry, I forgot to mention AFTER kidnapping her—that she felt afraid of him?! This ISN’T Dimitri’s fault. I’m not blaming him or anything, but. UGH! Why?! This Strigoi Dimitri isn’t MY Dimitri! I want my Dimitri back! He’s crazy and obsessive and just drinks Rose’s blood all the time!

(show spoiler)

“I’d said it before and meant it: Alive or undead, the love of my life was a badass.”

There were many things I did like. I liked the fact that Rose grew in this one book a lot. She’s really matured through this series, and I feel like she is so strong, and her pain makes me sad too! Regardless of her “moments” and stuff—I still enjoy reading through her perspective now! So, ready for the next book!

Like I said, I enjoyed the storyline: it was heartbreaking and a lot of things were shown through. I just wish some things were done differently. Overall, Blood Promise was a book that did not disappoint after I got through that tough 10% to 25% section and the small problems I had. So, I would recommend this series to anyone who wants to try this out.

It may sound weird that I gave a list of things I didn’t like in this book and then I say I really enjoyed it, but honestly, the list I made was why I didn’t enjoy it enough to give it a 5 out of 5 stars. So, I had no major problems with this book, and I don’t think it was really disappointing as a whole.

Thanks for reading my review guys and hope you all have a great day! :D Until the next one!