Open Road Summer by Emery Lord

Open Road Summer - Emery Lord

I literally finished this by reading from 10:30 - 11:30 last night, woke up at 7 in the morning and finished off the rest of this in forty minutes. Yep, I’m proud.

I want to reach back into my history with a grade-school pink eraser, scrubbing away my decisions like mistakes on a math test. Too bad I drew my mistakes in ink.

Open Road Summer sounded like a fluffy read to me, and I was really happy when I found out that it was more than that. This story is really character driven! This story had a lot of things that a lot of YA contemporary doesn’t really have.

But, I am going to say that with Reagan, I liked her, but at times she just perceived things the way she wanted to and completely refused to listen to anyone or anything afterwards. At times I thought that she was plain rude and insensitive.

Dee lets out an impressive wolf whistle, which sets off the whole crowd even louder. I wish all the skanks would just sit down so I could see.

I understand that she is a girl who’s broken, but seriously? At some points, all I was reading was this: “I’m too good for all these skanks—sorry girls. Oh, wait, the only girl that matters is my best friend Dee.” Well, she didn’t really say it like that, she said it in a more different way . . .

They woo-hoo and clap like banshees on nitrous oxide. The people who scream for Dee are teenage girls and younger. But with Matt, the girls howl like a bunch of starving street cats about to get table scraps. It’s unseemly.

Get over yourself, Reagan.

But at the same time, if you look past Reagan (thankfully, the story moves from beyond her) you see so many things on Dee and Reagan’s friendship. It’s the best thing in this book. Not the relationship (although I wouldn’t mind Matt Finch being real) the friendship!

. . . being truly happy is an impossible puzzle, one I’m not meant to figure out. If  you have a best friend you can laugh with and a few good songs, you’re more than halfway there.

Dee’s life is shown so realistically, and I thought that Emery Lord actually had some real life experiences with the entertainment world, but it’s just that this author has really put effort in this book. I really like the dedication that they showed she had in this book, and I can’t wait to read more by her! :D

Overall, Open Road Summer is a great summer read that makes you really feel and remember a lot of your close friends and has some great character development! I would recommend this to people who want to read something more character driven. If you are a person who can’t stand main characters that can get rude and annoying, then I guess you should give this a pass.

Thanks for reading my review everyone, and I hope you have a great day! :D