More Happy Than Not by Adam Silvera

More Happy Than Not - Adam Silvera

The boy with no direction taught me something unforgettable: happiness comes again if you let it.

This book is freaking fantastic. It deserves all the stars and more. If you haven’t read this book then um, what are you waiting for?! Read this book now if you haven’t because EVERYONE should read this book.

Besides the creative premise of this plot being that Aaron (our main character) wants to go through a memory procedure to forget that he’s gay because he’s not ready to accept his sexuality, there are so many other things to read in this book.

Adam Silvera creates all kinds of realistic characters. I may have never met someone as amazing and life-changing as Aaron, but I do have the unfortunate fate of meeting some Brendan’s and others. But I’ve also met some amazing Genevieve's and Thomas’s; you decide: is that more happy or not?

This book isn’t a cute-sy tale to read for fun, this book has it’s dark moments. It deals with suicide, accepting one’s sexuality, and abuse (either self or inflicted on). Aaron goes through some pretty dark moments, where I had to put this book down and calm my breathing because it was seriously a lot.

She pulls away—and then I see why: she’s holding out her palm as a landing place for a firefly. It’s easy to forget it’s there when it’s not glowing, until all of a sudden it comes back and surprises you; it reminds me of grief.

There were points in this book where I was laughing with Aaron, sometimes almost wanting to cry for him, and wanting to yell things to him that he should also realize. This book was an emotional rollercoaster ride and I’m glad it went beyond my expectations.

I’ve become this happiness scavenger who picks away at the ugliness of the world, because if there’s happiness tucked away in my tragedies, I’ll find it no matter what. If the blind can find joy in music, and the deaf can discover it with colors, I will do my best to always find the sun in the darkness because my life isn’t one sad ending—it’s a series of endless happy beginnings.

I really can’t say if this book is heart-breaking or funny and sad, but there’s a little bit of everything. I can say that this book will stay with you long after you’re finished reading this. At least, it’s still with me after all this time.

Overall, More Happy Than Not is recommended to EVERYONE by me! It’s an emotional rollercoaster and will leave you MORE than satisfied! I’m still not over this book, to be honest, and I’m glad that I gave this one a go.

Thanks for reading my review everyone, and hope you have a great day! :D