Uprooted by Naomi Novik

Uprooted - Naomi Novik

One day, Ms. Novik decided to write out the world’s best fantasy standalone known to man (by man, I mean me . . . I’m not a man, though) and she effing blew my brains out with so much awesomeness. I listened to this book as an audiobook through OverDrive, and am I damn glad that I did.

Are you guys listening?! Like, pick up this book right now if you haven’t yet. Seriously, this needs to be on your TBR!

This book is a weird kind of funny, not the laugh out loud or rolling on the floor laughing kind of funny, I mean, the downright blunt and charming kind of funny. I think that’s what sold me on this book: the dry humor in it, and it’s not a lot, I’m telling you right now. It doesn’t even need to be a lot, because this book has about another hundred things to make you fall in love with it.

From the premise of the book we know this: a Wizard known as the Dragon takes a girl from the valley every ten years to live with him and in return, he protects the village from the dangerous corrupted Wood, that is threatening to take root in the villages. Does this premise sounds creepy to you? It is, and at some points, the magic turns really dark.

Everyone thinks that Kasia—Agniezska's best friend—is going to get chosen as she is the prettiest, but instead, he chooses Agniezska herself.

I can see why people would consider this a Beauty and the Beast retelling, but I’m going to tell you now, the romance isn’t the focus in this book! Although the Agniezska-Dragon dynamic is the best that I’ve seen in a LONG time! She’s so bright and messy, and he’s so holed up and uptight it’s hilarious seeing the two of them interacting together! There were moments where I seriously was laughing out loud.

The things that stuck out to me and were my favorite were the magic and the Wood. Imagine living in a world where anyone who touched the Wood or came into contact into it through any way (even by touching someone who’s touched the Wood themselves) could become corrupted in such a terribly dark and frightening way.

This book had a lot of things that were different and I loved. I will point out the main ones.

This book doesn’t have a plot twist. It’s hard to explain, it’s not a plot twist but it is. I can say that you can expect the unexpected. :D

It’s been such a long time since I’ve read a story in which two friends are ready to die for one another. Kasia’s and Agnieszka’s friendship was so pure and the once-in-a-lifetime one, that I loved that relationship more than any in this book. I will say that at first, I didn’t understand the way Agnieszka’s uncontrollable love for Kasia, but I understood it later on. :D

This book isn’t about the main character’s development but somehow the characters play such an important role!

Overall, Uprooted is a book that I can continue listing good things about! It has everything I love in a story and more. Read this now if you’re a fan of fantasy and haven’t read this yet!

Thanks for reading my review everyone and hope you have a great day! :D Until the next one!