The Unpopular Opinions Tag

Hey guys, hope you’re having a great day so far! I was browsing BookTube this morning, and I found a tag that I decided I wanted to do because so many of my beloved BookTubers were doing this tag, and I feel like although unpopular opinions is something everyone has, no one really talks about it openly. So, I’ve decided to do this tag! :D

There are nine questions. So, without further ado! Let’s begin:

number one

a popular book or series that you didn’t like

I don’t think this fact is hidden from anyone. Anyone who knows my book habits knows this, and it is:

The Mortal Instruments series

by Cassandra Clare

Now that I think about it, if I would’ve read this series when it reached its biggest hype period, I would’ve probably really loved this. I’m not really a person who will refuse to read a book based on an author’s reputation. Unless any controversy surrounding the author is actually related to the book itself.

I’d heard countless things about how the first book was literally the same as Cassandra Clare’s plagiarized fan-fiction, and a lot of things said by Jace were actually taken from that. I decided to focus on this fact because the parts taken from her fan-fiction into City of Bones was not plagiarized work, it was her own work she was using again. But the actual book, I could not stand. I had numerous issues with this book, and now that I think about it, I do believe I’d read up until City of Glass.

number two

a popular book or series that everyone seems to hate but you love

A lot of people haven’t really read this book, but some people that I know that read this didn’t like it. I, personally, fell in love with this book and was so excited to read this! I’m so glad that I read this, it literally gave me a lesson on religion even though that wasn’t the purpose of this book, and it’s seriously changed my perspective. And that book is:

Audacious

by Gabrielle Prendergast

I’m not going to go recommending this book to anyone, it’s a personal favorite of mine, and I have a lot of emotions attached to this.

number three

a love triangle where the main character ended up with the person you did NOT want them to end up with OR an OTP that you don’t like

This is going to contain spoilers for the following series:

The Grisha trilogy

by Leigh Bardugo

If you have read this, then you can click on the view spoiler section!

Yeah, so, in the end; Alina ends up with Mal. I was so pissed at this point, I hated Mal throughout the entire series. Alina literally freaks out before kissing him, so Mal decides to kiss Zoya in front of everyone—like, Alina can handle that kind of five-year-old behavior but not me. I was so angry when Alina ended up Mal, because he was my least favorite character in the entire series.

I was shipping her with Nikolai! Nikolai, Nikolai, Nikolai! Sweet, loyal Nikolai . . .

(show spoiler)

number four

a popular book genre that you hardly reach for

For this one, I’d have to go with Sci-Fi. It isn’t that I don’t like it, it’s just for Science Fiction I have to really hear good reviews about that certain book to actually reach out for it. :D Some of those books include: The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer and These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner.

number five

a popular or beloved book character that you do not like

Hmm, for this one, I’m going to have to say Dorian from the Throne of Glass series by Sarah J Maas.

I just don’t see Dorian as ever being one of my favorite characters. I know that he’s loved by a lot of people but I just think that he’s whiny. I mean, I guess after Heir of Fire I kind of feel for him, but I just really don’t care.

number six

a popular author that you can’t seem to get into

For this one, I have to choose Becca Fitzpartick.

I read the Hush Hush series by her a long time ago, but honestly, I was just annoyed. Please don’t ask me why I read this, I seriously don’t know. It was last summer.

number seven

a popular book trope that you’re tired of seeing

For this one, I’m going to have to choose this trope: Love Triangles. I don’t who invented them, and then everyone decided that this was frigging okay to go with. I’ve found myself disliking books for this very reason.

number eight

a popular book series that you have no interest in reading

The Inheritance Cycle

by Christopher Paolini

I’m sorry, there’s no personal reason, I just don’t see myself reading this ever. Seriously. I just can’t.

number nine

the saying goes: “the book is always better than the movie,” but what movie or TV show adaptation do you prefer more than the book?

For this one, it has to be The Hobbit movies. Because those were way more interesting than the book I had to read. I don’t want to talk about this book, I’m sorry. But I will want to talk about the movies! :D

And that’s it! Thanks for reading my review guys! Hope you have a great day and until the next one! :D