The Martian by Andy Weir

The Martian - Andy Weir

The Martian is easily one of the best books that I’ve read this year. Hype began stirring around this book as soon as news for the movie came, but I’d been really reluctant to read this since I have never been into Science Fiction, and this book is full of it.

Mark Watney is an astronaut who is lost during an unexpected storm that hits Mars and is presumed dead. His crew leaves without him, and when Watney wakes up, he’s all alone. Mark Watney basically has to find a way to survive on a planet that isn’t really made for survival. And, his goal is to reach back home.

While reading this book, I never once felt confused. Because Mr. Andy Weir knows what he’s doing. Somehow, Mr. Weir manages to explain whole passages of science stuff into one sentence! There is no info-dumping! And while reading this book, I felt like it was possible for someone to be stranded on Mars to actually survive this! If any astronaut ever gets stuck on Mars and has read The Martian, we know that he’ll be okay!

Around the middle point of the book, I started to feel kind of bored because I was kind of tired of reading Mark Watney not getting anywhere. Thankfully, Mark Watney is actually a really funny person and I had a great time learning about what he did in order to survive! There was a part of the book for me where I was reading just to get to the end, but then it speeds up really quick!

It was great looking at the determination of other characters and Mark Watney’s as well! This book points out how important it is for a team to stick together. Although this isn’t the main theme in the book, I still enjoyed it a lot. :D

Time to see if I can watch the movie, now! :D

Overall, The Martian is filled with amazing science, yet it’s so simplified that someone who isn’t interested or hasn’t studied science will understand completely! Although it feels like it gets a bit slow at some points, continue to read so that you guys can finish the book and realize how great it is! :D