Six of Crows (Six of Crows #1) by Leigh Bardugo

Six of Crows - Leigh Bardugo

I’d read The Grisha by Leigh Bardugo a while back, sometime near the beginning of the year. The series was pretty “meh” for me. So when I heard that Six of Crows was coming out, I was really hesitant to pick it up.

But, after the release of this book, reviews were coming in on a positive note, and a lot of reviewers that don’t usually like YA gave this book a lot of positive reviews, so I just had to pick this one up!

Let me say, I was NOT disappointed!

A good magician wasn’t much different from a proper thief.

I thought that this book was a lot darker than The Grisha and not only that, it seemed so original, and I think that the Ocean’s Eleven reference is spot-on!

Kaz leaned back. “What’s the easiest way to steal a man’s wallet?”

“Knife to the throat?” asked Inej.
“Gun to the back?” said Jesper.
“Poison in his cup?” suggested Nina.
“You’re all horrible,” said Matthias.

I love this group. :)

Another thing that I really liked about this was the writing style! It was written in third person, so it did a great job for things like letting us know the perspectives of different characters and foreshadowing!

Compared to The Grisha, I liked this world better (that really doesn’t make sense since they’re both situated in the same world …) because I think that the situations and the way that people lived was more raw and better executed.

And, finally the characters. I loved every single character in this book, they’re all so close to my heart!

“I’m a business man,” he’d told her. “No more, no less.”

“You’re a thief, Kaz.”

“Isn’t that what I just said?”

Every character obviously has their own story. And it’s not really dumped onto us, it’s described in a really nice, slow tone. And by the time I reached the end, I felt as if I actually knew every single character by heart. Also: yay to female friendships and actual badass female characters! :D

Inej had once offered to teach him how to fall. “The trick is not getting knocked down,” he’d told her with a laugh. “No, Kaz,” she’d said, “the trick is in getting back up.”

I don’t have a favorite character, I love them all to bits and pieces! :D

And God, after that ending, I really need the next book now. It’s actually physically paining me to have to wait for it.

Overall, Six of Crows is an amazing book that everyone who’s enjoyed The Grisha trilogy and loves heist and fantasy stories should read! I LOVED this book so much, and honestly I wish this were longer, but I will try to be happy with what I got…

Thanks for reading my review guys, and until the next one! :D