The Rose and the Dagger (The Wrath and the Dawn #2) by Renée Ahdieh

The Rose and the Dagger - Renee Ahdieh

Besides the fact that I am glad that The Wrath and the Dawn is a consistent story that actually needed a sequel, I’m also glad that Renée Ahdieh jumped straight into this novel, going straight for buildup and magic! Really appreciated that!

I remember my only problem with The Wrath and the Dawn was that Shazi fell in love with Khalid a bit too quickly in my opinion, but I think the author did a good job of making him an anti villain.

The Rose and the Dagger was pretty much exactly what it should be: a sequel that didn’t drag anything out and answered my questions from the first book. I was pretty satisfied.

I really enjoyed the addition of characters in here, for another thing. Shazi’s sister, Irsa was a character that I loved to read about—despite her presence being brief in this novel—and the

romance between her and Rahim broke my heart when he died at the end!?

(show spoiler)

I’m pretty glad that this book explored the magic that it had from before, but to be honest, I didn’t think justice was done to Jalal’s character! Especially with him not listening to Khalid! That didn’t seem true!

(show spoiler)

Overall, The Rose and the Dagger was an extremely enjoyable book that I’m glad I read! Give this quick duology a chance if you’re interested, but I’d like to point out that this is more focused on the romance than 1001 Arabian Nights.